Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Special Collections

Today, our class took a little break from the normal routine and we met in the special collections section of the library.  I've spent time in this department before and it is a unique treat.  I was writing a paper on the pool of Bethesda for a religion class and looked on the BYU library website for some information.  I was led to a book that so happened to be a part of the special collections.  This meant that in order to read this book and pull information from it, I had to surrender my book bag and pens.  I could only take a pencil and my laptop into the special collections reading room. So as to make sure nothing happens to the books they are kind of high security about just anybody reading them.  However, it was worth the insight because I was able to look at a resource not everyone gets to see and from a unique perspective.  It was a bible dictionary from 1851! It was incredible.  I could almost see the hands of many readers searching this dictionary along side their Bible study.  Today, my experience in special collections broadened my horizon even more.  I saw bronze plates, books made of animal skins, clay stamps, and my favorite...journals.  I realized that records are kept for many many small and seemingly meaningless purposes but, one day, my records may prove valuable beyond measure to a reader I may not even know.  And, the beauty of it is, there are hundreds of easy ways to keep records these days.  I've written many thoughts down in letters, on note cards in my scriptures, in blog posts, online notes, e-mails, talks, lessons for church, and in other little journals.  I should find a way to collect all of these writings into one volume for my posterity to enjoy.  Perhaps one day my work will wind up in the special collections.     

No comments: