Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The BYU Museum of Art

The Brigham Young University Museum of Art, affectionately called the MOA, is a unique university museum.  It is one of the largest and most attended museums in the Mountain West, probably due to the fact that admission is free!  The focus of the museum's collections are religious and American art but it also exhibits several different touring collections throughout the year.   You might be inclined to wonder how "exciting" our art programs are at BYU thinking that perhaps our faith "limits" the boundaries we can break or lines we can cross as artists.  You may be surprised to find out that our student art shows are contemporary and thought provoking and yes, they certainly can be "edgy".  I think these ideas flow right over to the MOA also.  The art that tours through our campus museum is thought provoking, political, controversial, innovative, respected, and expressive.  Naturally, the museum does keep a ready supply of beautiful and inspiring works of religious art which became the main points of discussion for our D&C class last week. I really enjoyed taking the opportunity to see an exhibit of entirely religious art.  Loaded with allusions, symbolism, and innovation; these pieces inspired me to learn more about my religious history so that I can better understand these images.  My classmates inspired me to see each piece from a different perspective.  As we stood as a class in front of each piece and picked it apart searching for meaning part of me wondered if we were trying too hard.  What if the images were meant to be more simple.  We think, no that's impossible for doctrine is complex but, this is not always the case.  Sometimes doctrine can be so beautiful and simple like Christ's teaching to love one another.  I tried to see the paintings, drawings, and sculptures as a whole, simple and sacred and then dive in to analyze further. 
 I was most awe struck when looking at a painting of Christ carrying the cross.  Almost immediately the image struck me funny.  It was photo-realistic and dramatic. It felt very posed and studio-esque.  As if a model were playing the part of the Savior.  He was standing upright under the weight of the cross and his flesh was brilliant and perfect.  Wearing only cloth draped and the crown of thorns, there were no signs of the crucifixion anywhere on his body.  No wounds in his hands or side.  The cross was made of a well varnished wood but battered around the edges.  I hope you can see this image.  I thought, why would he be so perfect and be standing so upright under the weight of this cross?  Why was his cross varnished?  Then I thought perhaps he was carrying my cross, a far lighter burden than his own.  It took my breath away.

No comments: