Wednesday, September 28, 2016

70/30

There are some days where I've got it together. I wake up feeling good. I make Patch a good breakfast...sometimes I even make myself and Scott a good breakfast. I pack everyone healthy lunches. I get ready and look amazing. I get to work at 7 AM, on the nose, and I'm focused and awesome the whole day. I pick Patrick up at 3 on the nose. We play in the yard and have fun. He giggles and smiles. I get to work washing dishes or folding laundry and he finds a cute little way to participate. I start dinner and Patrick finds a way to participate in that too. Scott gets home just before 5 and we sit down to dinner together. We head up the canyon and enjoy a hike with Dinah the dog. We get home just in time to put Patrick to bed by 7:30. Scott and I relax for a minute together on the couch and I wrap up a few more house projects before heading to bed. When I'm REALLY on it, I even make time to read for a few minutes.

Those days, even on the most perfect of days, some tiny things go wrong...the battery on my car key dies and makes it hard to open the door. We run out of milk. A deal gets declined at work. An appointment cancels. Patrick cries during the drive home from Kathie's house. He pulls the tops of the sprinklers out and I have to chase him down and put them back. Patrick closes the dryer door on his fingers and becomes very very sad. Scott comes home late from work. Rain prevents ups from heading up the canyon. The internet breaks down making it hard to watch a show. I try to work on one of my projects and just become overwhelmed with the fact that the house will never be in perfect order.

Most of the time, these things wind up being a mixture. Sometimes 50% good and easy and 50% lousy and annoying. The ratio frequently seems to be 70/30. Today, it was 80/20 and it was delightful.

Scott's alarm went off late and we slept in. Good news is, we slept in and so did Patrick. Bad news is, our morning was chaos and Scott left for work late. I started working from home and then the internet crashed. I had to bring my phone into the Apple store to replace the screen. Patrick, however, was in an awesome mood when we first got home. I launched into making both of us some food and that quelled his hanger. When I was doing some dishes, I decided to listen to some music. The first song that came on was "Uptown Funk"...one of our favorites to dance to. Patrick bolted out of the bedroom where he was playing with Legos and started to dance on the landing almost immediately. It melted my little heart to see him having so much fun. Then, just as Scott was arriving at home (before 5!!!) I went and hid behind the curtains on the windows by the front door. Patrick saw me and ran across the room to join me behind the curtain. Scott walked in the door and played along right away. Patrick could hardly bear to stay behind the curtain for more than 2 seconds after Scott walked in. SUPER cute. Coincidentally, Scott brought the mail in with him and placed it on the floor when crouching down to hug Patch and whoops, Patch slipped on the papers and had a quick cry about it.

We went up the canyon to capture some more pictures with a friend and to enjoy the fall colors. On our way down, the babies were getting fussy (hungry and close to bed time). Scott and I decided to sing "Old McDonald" and Patch showed off his animal noises and some singing. Gosh I love this kid. He's so freaking cute. It's challenging to be a mom to a toddler. All you experienced mamas out there laugh because I only have one and he's only 20 months. Yeah, I know. This is my jam though. This is totally my kind of crazy.

I do need to just hire a maid service though ;)

No comments: