Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Waiting Place

We read books to Patrick every night before bed. One that we read a lot is "Oh the Places You'll Go" and in it, the boy winds up in "the waiting place". The book describes many of the different kinds of waiting that happen here's some of my waiting story:

Today I'm in the waiting place. Waiting for my cycle to return so that we can start trying for another baby. Waiting to hear back after my interview at Chase Bank. Waiting to hear back after my interview at Zion's Bank. Waiting to figure out if I really can increase our Airbnb monthly earnings. Waiting waiting. I have a particularly bad cold right now that I'm waiting to go away. We were all sick over Christmas. Now we're sick again. I suppose that's part of having a toddler and going places with lots of children on a regular basis (Sea Quest Aquarium, Get Air Bounce place, Jungle Jims, McDonalds play place...all in the last 30 days).

Here's a bit of an update from after the miscarriage and through Thanksgiving and Christmas. Shortly after I finished my blog post things started to happen. It took an hour for the contractions and bleeding to start and by about 7:30 PM I had passed the whole pregnancy- placenta and embryo. I didn't dig around too much to find the fetus or anything though, some people have done that. I did pick it up out of the toilet and held it/ looked at it. It was very painful, as promised, but not as painful as full term labor. It was definitely more painful than I expected though. My parents took Patrick for me so that I could have some time to myself and then when Scott got home we had time just the two of us. There was some waiting involved and Scott distracted me with watching some Game of Thrones. I also got a lovely edible arrangement from some dear friends who happened to know that I was pregnant. There was some tasty fruit- chocolate covered pineapple, bananas, and strawberries. The pineapple pieces were in the shape of doves. I was feeling a little angry at the universe so, I bit the heads off the doves. Bonnie and Steve had my parents pick up a flower arrangement for me. Leslie purchased me a beautiful stone that brings healing and fertility. Gosh, I'm surrounded by people that love me. I told a few too many people that I was pregnant but, at the end of the day, it was nice to have a support system when I broke the news that I wasn't pregnant anymore.

It's been a month and I just barely finished bleeding a couple of weeks ago.  I've had to go in weekly to do blood draws to make sure my HCG levels are dropping like they should. That's been super fun. I also got to do an ultrasound a week after the miscarriage which, because we had to change health insurance when I left Banner Bank and we were only covered for 1 month with Scott's employer, we were not even close to the deductible (imaging is not often fully covered by health insurance) so, that was basically $800 that month for insurance and $600 for the ultrasound imaging. Fan. Tastic.

Back to the good news, I'm not bleeding anymore. This means, my cycle can return any time. Yehaw. Or, I could potentially get pregnant again.

In spite of sickness, we've had a good start to the new year. There's been lots of fun things for our family and things are going well for Scott at work. He's booked two deals and literally all of his teammates that were hired at the same time as him are now gone. YIKES. We're contemplating him doing online university schooling to get a second degree. The thought is that we'll move out of our house, rent it out, and I'll keep working for VIPKID to cover expenses in the interim. The other part of that thought is that we'll move further east so that the time difference between me and the kids I teach is smaller and I could potentially work more hours. Living expenses in Chile could be pretty reasonable so, we're contemplating it. No serious plans yet.

I'm making decent progress on my new years goals:
1: make the bed every day
2: read one book a month (I've already read 3.5)
3: have more friends over/ entertain more
4: travel

Waiting is not easy but, that's part of life.

No comments: