Saturday, November 10, 2018

August

August 1: Purple hosted a private event at Boondocks and we had a blast!!! They had free dinner for everyone and gave each family $20 to spend on the arcade games. We went on the bumper boats and Patrick jumped on the inflatables they had outside. He also explored a little jungle gym area they had and it was awesome. While we were eating dinner, we ran into one of our old home teachers who had recently moved and had a baby. Scott found out that he was working for Purple shortly after Scott joined the company so, that was a really fun coincidence. 

August 3: My parents hosted a pool party and invited the Derr family and the Brassard family to join us for a potluck dinner. We did go swimming, ate delicious food, and the kids put on a little play for everyone (no surprise given who these children are being raised by...a bunch of actors/ performers). Maddie and Eva were still in town so, they happily participated also. Not sure where their interest in performing comes from- Melissa enjoys singing and music so, perhaps from their mother. It was a short party as everyone wanted to get home and get their kiddos to bed on a work night/ school night but, a lovely time nevertheless. 

August 4th: Mary hosted a backyard party for her kiddos complete with pony and a petting zoo. Patrick was pretty enamored by the little lamb on a leash that he could walk around with but he also took a pretty strong liking to riding the ponies. This was the 3rd time he's ridden a pony and this time he seemed to enjoy it the very most. I was particularly proud of the gifts I purchased for Scarlet and Lucy- little girl shoes with tiny tiny heels :) There was a girl in primary in our ward that always wore shoes like that and I LOVED them. So did Scarlet and Lucy. Hurray! The party ended with a pinata full of candy (of course) and it was terrifying to watch a bunch of 3, 4, and 5 year olds swinging a large stick around.

August 5th: Zach's (Scott and Shelti's son) birthday party at Jump Around Utah. Mary introduced me to this place back in May and we bought a punch pass immediately because it was so dang fun. There are lots of inflatables and a large inflatable pillow shaped trampoline thing in the middle. The cost is $5 for unlimited play- YES PLEASE- and adults are included. That's the best deal for a bouncy place in town! Patrick managed to convince me to play in the little play structure quite a bit :) That afternoon we drove up to Logan to spend some time with Bonnie. She was feeling pretty down about some problems with her eye so Kenna, Scott, and I arranged to go to her house and make dinner. Steph and her family joined us also. It was a lovely evening and I think we brightened Bonnie's spirits. Patrick enjoyed helping harvest and shuck some corn and LOVED feeding the husks to the horses.

August 6th: We joined Kathie (Patrick's awesome nanny) and her family up Millcreek Canyon for what they call "Millcreek Monday". Someone brought "Speak Out" and we had some fun playing that game again. Scott and I took Patrick for a short hike around our day camp (Patrick and I had previously explored it when we went up for Millcreek Monday but accidentally missed everyone).

On August 9th I spent some time in Alpine with my nieces. I happened to bring all of my makeup and the girls remembered that I had promised them makeovers during our sleepover a few weeks back but we didn't have time. They reminded me and that day, we did have time! 

August 11th: I spent the afternoon with the girls by myself. We went to purchase face paint- I had been wanting some good stuff anyway- and stopped by the "Puppy Barn" to pet some adorable puppies. Maddie and Eva were enthralled with the pups and I enjoyed them too. That night we headed out for a camping adventure up American Fork Canyon with just us and the girls. There were some pretty intense fires all summer long all throughout British Columbia, California, and Utah. We were hoping to escape all of the smoke and we were also hoping that, in spite of not booking a site in advance, we would find something utterly last minute...and we did! We pitched our tent just before dark. The girls were pretty jazzed to be camping and Patrick always loves it. We had some fun adventures- the girls hadn't peed in the wilderness without their mom ever so, they were a little nervous to do it my way- squatting over rocks or logs rather than being held by the legs but we got through it. Maddie and Eva were super excited to be there, we could tell. Once our tent was pitched, we made smoores and got ready for bed. Everyone slept in and Scott and I made a breakfast casserole. Maddison fussed about the casserole quite a bit but the rest of us gobbled it up happily :) Good thing we were prepared with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for Maddie.  After breakfast, we cleaned up camp. I had to motivate the girls to contribute by bribing the person who picked up the most pieces of trash with an ice cream just for them. That got the girls moving! Once camp was cleaned up, we took a few minutes to go shoot Scott's pellet gun and then headed home.

August 15th: I headed to Calgary, Alberta for a dear friend and former roommate's wedding. Erin was one of my bridesmaids and I knew I would do everything I could to be at her wedding and, I even flew out early to be there for her bachelorette party which, if I'm being honest, was more like a slightly naughty bridal shower. Erin picked me up from the airport. I explained on the way to her home that I would not be attending the sealing. I had brushed off the invitation via text a few times but felt the need to explain in person. She took it well and we continued to have fun catching up.  Danielle, another of my bridesmaids and dear Canadian friends/ former roommate met up with me at the shower and then took me home to her house to sleep. She hosted me for a few days and her family really spoiled me. We had such a fun time together.

August 16th: Danielle's birthday and fun around Calgary. Danielle and I wandered the city and met up with her family for lunch to celebrate her birthday. That morning she took me to a drug store so I could grab some prenatal vitamins (I forgot to bring mine) and she made some suggestions of Canadian chocolate we should pick up. We ate a few candy bars on the metro...I won't lie. Lunch was DIVINE and I can't remember what ethnicity of food we ate but it was truly delicious...maybe it was Hungarian? After, Danielle's grandma treated us all to ice cream at a place called "Licks"...quite the name! That evening, Danielle and I got pedicures- super relaxing. I paid for hers as her birthday present. She quickly ran off for dinner with her aunt and I stayed at home with her sister in law and their little baby.

August 17th: Erin's wedding! We dressed and left Calgary for Cardston rather early. Most sealings seem to take place in the morning. As we arrived, we happened to catch Erin filming her "first look" video with her soon to be husband, Scott. We gushed from afar and then called out to her to wave like little groupies. She came over and gave us a hug. Danielle and I ran to Subway to grab her some food and then she dashed in for the sealing. I stayed outside and brought my computer to try and do some work. I figured I would go to a coffee shop or something but, Cardston has NOTHING- no coffee shops or book stores or any of your typical "free wi-fi" hangout spots so, I went back to the temple grounds and connected to the church wireless network inside the adjacent chapel. 

A note on my feelings after taking a step away from the LDS church. Scott encouraged me to write about this as I did struggle a bunch on the 17th with our decision to leave the church. Back in May, my family took my Grandma Warren's name through the temple and sealed her to my Grandpa Warren. They did this on one of the last days of my girls trip cruise to Mexico. I felt sad that I wasn't going to be there but since I was gone and distracted by the trip, I didn't have to look that decision in the face. At Erin's wedding, I was staring that decision in the face...right in the eyes actually. Sitting in a classroom, connecting to the internet to "get some work done", but truly crying my eyes out because I was truly feeling the loss of the church in my life...not necessarily the gospel but definitely the church. The comfort of the familiar. The tradition. The community. It was the first time I was faced with what I was leaving "behind" so to speak. I cried sitting there and called Scott. I didn't question the decision, I was merely mourning the loss of something that was once, and in many ways still is, so special to me.

So, I got to work checking emails and things for a bit and then got a text from Danielle that the sealing was over and that everyone was heading out. I was there to greet Erin outside the temple and join them, the bridal party, and the family for pictures. I wasn't certain Erin was going to have bridesmaids and when I got there and found out that she did, I was a little hurt. I won't lie. However, I later found out that they were all cousins and two sisters so, I got over myself and had a great time. That evening, there was a BBQ in Waterton National Park- the Canadian side of Glacier National Park and it was SO LOVELY...in spite of all the smoke coming from the fires in BC. Danielle and I had some time to kill after the wedding and before the BBQ/ Dinner/ Reception thing so, we went to the park early and explored a bit. Danielle suggested that we check out the Prince of Whales hotel. We stopped by, changed into more casual clothes (we're talking denim here) and had high tea overlooking the lake and some pretty majestic mountains. There was a pianist playing live music and I was thinking- OMG my mother would love this! and, I have to bring Scott here! It was delightful.

When it came time for dinner, we drove down into Waterton...the little town...and made our way to the party. They had hired a food truck to be on site and serve everyone burgers and fries. There were lots of craft sodas, along with Erin's fave, Diet Coke and some of their favorite snacks (popcorn and hot cheetos) We had a lovely time. I visited with Natalie's parents (another of our roommates) and met some of the important people in Scott and Erin's life. I'm usually fairly comfortable at a party where I don't know anyone and can strike up conversation. This is exhausting to an introvert like Danielle. She literally needed to pop over to the car to take a nap. I don't blame her...I'm exhausting. :) We sent Erin on her way that evening and made the long drive back to Calgary...listening to Spotify and jamming to Brittney Spears and the like all the way.

August 18: Danielle and I ventured into Banff. It was SO smokey we could hardly see the towering mountains that stand thousands of feet taller than the tallest peaks along the Wasatch front. I was so bummed but, the smoke did lend to a majestic sort of appearance to where one might actually believe they were hiking in the clouds. I was proud of myself because Danielle and I did a full hike to a waterfall...me huffing and puffing and stopping to drink lots of water along the way. On our way home, we stopped at Wendy's for some lunch and a Canadian favorite- poutine! I quite enjoyed it! That night was the reception and there was LOTS Of dancing and a photo booth. VERY fun. I connected with some of Erin's mission companions that I would be travelling back home with- driving instead of flying. Buying a one way ticket was less expensive since I finally booked my flight on the 10th...literally 5 days before I left. It took a minute to find out if Danielle was planning to drive or fly. Anyway, we made plans to leave early early the next morning.

August 19th: our 7 year anniversary and a LONG day of driving for me. Danielle and I stopped the night before, after the reception, for me to pick up some Canadian provisions like lots of candy bars and some all dressed chips to bring home. I was proud that I didn't eat any of it until the last 2 hours of my drive...by myself... to keep me awake. We didn't really get to spend our anniversary together this year but, I'll make up for it next year. :)

August 20th: Patrick and I went to the aquarium, just the two of us, after my work day was over. I missed him and we needed some time to just play and have fun so, we had a little adventure. Scott had to take a last minute work trip to DC and left early on Monday morning so, I knew Patrick and I would be flying solo all week and would need to plan some outings.

August 22nd: My dad's birthday dinner at Texas Roadhouse. Aunt Nancy joined us, as it was education week and she was staying with my parents. The food was good but the company was even better. 

August 25th: I took quick overnight and all day Saturday trip to Idaho with Jeramy and Alisha Hall. Scott was supposed to go on this adventure with me and, we were supposed to bring Patrick too and just have him stay with Doug and family while we were doing activities that were not so toddler friendly (hanging at Alisha's mom's farm with ALL her dogs and floating down the Bear River). Because Scott was still on his work trip through the weekend, it was just me and I asked my parents to watch Patch so that I could just hitch a ride there with the Halls, stay with Alisha's mom, and not have to worry about Patch. That worked out nicely but I did feel badly for leaving Patch two weekends in a row. This was only for a Saturday but still. Anyway, Alisha's mom spoiled us with LOTS of amazing produce and fresh pie. The float down the river was a blast and Jeremy even got to play the hero as one girl from our group nearly drowned while getting out of the water. We stopped at the ice cream factory on the way home and I picked up a box of Fat Boys...hello summer pregnancy craving. I was able to bottle a few jars of jam from a basket of raspberries and that felt like a major SCORE.

August 27th: Another "Millcreek Monday" only this time, all the kids were playing in the river and Patrick felt like it would be a good idea to strip down naked and get in the water. I debated stopping him but decided I'd rather keep his clothes dry and deal with the other parents judging me than having sopping wet clothes and shoes for the drive home. 

August 29th: A quick hike, just the three of us and Dinah, up at the top of Millcreek Canyon. 

August 31st: I worked from my parent's house and left Patrick with them for the weekend (3rd weekend in a row with overnight time away from one or both of us. The first weekend it was just me. Then it was both of us the following two weekends. Yes, I feel guilty about it.) We had this cabin trip planned with some couple friends for MONTHS so, it would have been difficult to back out. Anyway, Patrick was delighted to spend more time sleeping over at Yia yia and Paupou's house. He loves it there and he loves sleepovers. Our trip began on Friday night and ended Sunday morning anyhow so, it was a quick one. We had a great time playing games, eating lots of food (I was the domestic one making jalapeno poppers and breakfast the last morning). More on that trip in the September post :)

 

No comments: