Saturday, December 5, 2015

In Stitches

My parents are in town this week we've had lots of Christmas fun.

On Sunday night, Mom and Dad came to our house for dinner right as they arrived in Utah. I made chicken that was seasoned with left over cranberry sauce. It turned out well but I suddenly found myself wondering if my food was good enough to serve my parents. I can't recall serving them dinner very often and was a little nervous about this experimental meal.

 On Monday, Mom and I tried to go to the new aquarium because it was free day but the line wrapped around the building (ridiculous) and that night we had plans to attend Scott's cousins husband's a cappella concert. So, we turned around and grabbed dinner with Scott at Cafe Rio and headed to the concert. The venue was an Episcopal church and they had a cry room where I could take Mr. P so he could just crawl around and make noise and play and yet I could still hear the concert and see what was going on. IT WAS AWESOME! Why aren't there more cry rooms...everywhere? Movie theaters especially. I'd love to go see a movie.

Wednesday, Scott had a concert at the library in Orem. His group did quite well and Patch was crawling around a bit. He also had a bit of fun testing the acoustics in the room and I had fun trying to keep him quiet. When Scott's group finished a particulary jovial and rambunctious number, Patch sat on the floor, turned to the group, and clapped for them with the audience. He just learned to clap last Wednesday so, this was rather exciting.

Thursday night was probably the highlight of the week. We attended the Christkindlmarket at This is the Place Park. It's a German style Christmas market/ fair thingie. It was SO much fun to see all the crafts and German things...and food! Not to mention that President Uchtdorf was there to award a medal to the Candy Bomber! So many local German celebs! Mr. P was bundled in a little snow suit and looked adorable! Bonbon was there with us and it was a great ladies night.

I have to share a funny story. One night, we were just sitting at home chatting. I was decorating the tree and Mom and Scott were talking on the couch. We were discussing the large amount of Christmas decor that my mom has and noticing that we're about to need additional storage for our growing supply of decorations. I mentioned that I want to go to the Container Store for one of their events. As I was reading the description we all started laughing and couldn't stop. The idea that the highlight of their event is to have "wrap stars" show people how to wrap gifts and then the grand prize would be a gift wrap organizer just got us laughing. It sounded so silly once I started saying it out loud. Scott then noticed that I had hung a Christmas banner with masking tape. I felt a little silly about that too. I just said "I just wanted to get it up" followed by a that's what she said joke. My mom then turned to me and said "who is she and what did he say". I was laughing so hard I cried.


No comments: