Sunday, November 29, 2015

12 hours

Since Thursday, Scott and I spent 12 hours on the road. First we drove two hours to Preston Idaho for Thanksgiving with his family and then back home Thursday evening (Scott had work on Friday) and then we drove to Alton for Scott's Uncle Ed's funeral. It was a lot of family time and a lot of time on the road but it was worth it.

Thanksgiving was lovely. We drove to Doug and Heather's on Wednesday evening. Patrick decided to wake up at 3 in the morning and was awake for about an hour. Scott woke up with me to help out and we wound up downstairs in their great room as Patch crawled and explored, happy as a little clam. He was particularly fascinated by Atlas, the dog. Finally, we got Patch back to bed and we all slept until about 6:30 when we woke to get ready for tree hunting. I LOVE TREE HUNTING! I'd never had a real Christmas tree until Scott and I got married. The tree history:

2011: My first tree hunt. We drove with Doug and he played this really silly recording of old random Christmas songs. It was fun to get to know Doug better and tell stories on the drive with him.


It was a little more sparse than the fake tree we had growing up but, it smelled amazing and it was a blast to hike through the snow to find it.

2012: Scott and I JUST moved back to Utah and into our apartment in Taylorsville. We were a bit strapped for cash at that time and missed the family tree hunt because we did Thanksgiving with my side of the family but, Scott surprised me and went out to get us a tree the day before Christmas. It was tiny and sat up on a coffee table in our little apartment. It lifted my spirits to have a lovely little tree!



2013: Our first Christmas in our first home. I'm not certain that I captured a full photo of this lovely tree but I did string up popcorn and captured a tiny segment of that tree. I ran all around town trying to find red wooden beads. I wanted it to look like strings of popcorn and strings of berries. I settled on these beads from Target. We'll see if I keep using them.

2014: I was great with child expecting Patrick. I felt like the virgin Mary all Christmas which was cool and imagined myself riding around town on an ass...I mean donkey. We did Thanksgiving with my family again and missed the tree hunt so this one was purchased at a tree lot down the road. I think we paid $80 for it which, at the time seemed obnoxious but, when you figure the price of fuel to get to Preston and add in the cost of the permit...you're almost at $80 but the experience of hunting down and hauling your own tree?...priceless ;)
 We were expecting my parents to arrive at any moment when this photo was taken. The house was in perfect order and presents were wrapped under the tree. That sled was our gift to my mom from an antique shop up the road.
Can you see the image on the TV screen? It's a video of a fire crackling. hehe. mmm so cozy. And there I am sleeping...again. I guess I really like napping next to the Christmas tree.

As for 2015's tree...that will have to wait until later...you know...after we get it decorated and such.



No comments: