Saturday, January 9, 2016

Powder Mountain

The day after Christmas Scott and I went skiing with my brother and his BIL and SIL at Powder Mountain in Tahoe. It was an interesting and VERY fun day. Here's what happened:

We all got up and had a lazy morning (very a-typical for a group of people who plan to hit the slopes for a day. As a kid it seemed like we were all up and ready to go to the resort by like 7 or 8 AM) and headed off at about 10 AM. When we got there we waited in line for tickets and to purchase a rental for Scott. I borrowed my moms old skis. I wish I had a picture of them but they were definitely old school...like early 80's I'm thinking. LOVED THEM! I'm secretly hoping she gives them to me and buys herself some nice new ones. Anyway, after we redeemed our tickets and purchased Scott's rental we started waiting in line for fittings in the rental gear and I had to get poles. Some lady snagged us in line (an employee of the resort) and told us that she could easily take us some back way to get some poles. I told her that my husband had to pick out rentals and she agreed to help us get those a back way too (LUCKY US!!!).

Here's where our luck turned.

Scott brought his new GoPro camera to take some sweet action shots coming down the slopes. We borrowed my dad's selfie stick and once we were on the slopes thought...wow...we suck at skiing and won't likely have the skill to even use the camera...let's get a locker. Scott then found out that all the lockers were full (or so he thought) so, we decided I would carry the camera and Scott would carry the goggles he brought. That didn't seem too troublesome and we didn't want to hike everything back to the car. So, the decision was made and we hit the bunny hill.

It was a lovely little slope. Not even really worthy of being called a bunny hill but, it was a good run to just experience being on skis after a few year hiatus. Once at the bottom I realized DUN DUN DUN part of the selfie stick's telescoping had come loose and I dropped the camera somewhere on that run!!!

My heart sank. Scott was SO excited about that camera and I lost it. I was sure that I dropped it on the bunny slope so I popped off my skis and started walking up it looking for the camera. Nothing. We popped our skis back on and went down the hill still scanning everywhere. As we were getting on the lift to head back up and check the lost and found I was asking all the employees if someone had turned in a camera. Nothing. Once we sat down on the lift Scott lost his ski. We were already stuck on the lift and headed up so, at the top we had to wait for his ski to come back. Our hearts were heavy. This awesome gift Scott got from his work as a Christmas bonus was likely picked up by a stranger and we would likely not see it again. I told Scott that while he was waiting for his ski, I would go and check the lost and found. There was a line when I arrived. Only a few people and a couple of them were families picking up their season passes for 2016. A dad and small child posed for pictures in their snow gear; all smiles. I felt the corners of my mouth turn up. Yes, being late to the resort put us at basically a half day worth of skiing when we paid full day prices. Yes, we had to wait in a couple of lines but that one lady snuck us through so that was nice. Yes, I lost the GoPro and that sucked but maybe we just made a $500 charitable contribution to someone who took it. Scott arrived just as I was getting to the front of the line. We watched a resort employee walk in with it in that very moment. My spirits were instantly lifted.

Scott decided he'd make the trek back to the car to drop off the GoPro and I would wait for him just outside of the food court area and we would grab some food. I got a message from Nacho that they were eating too and I told them I would have to wait for Scott to get back before meeting them because he didn't have a phone on him. Right as Scott arrived I went to the top of the stairs to holler down to him. As I got there this lady stopped me and asked me to help her son get off the snow in his ski boots and walk up the stairs. She said he was nervous to step off the snow in his ski boots and she doesn't have experience with that and asked if I could grab him and help. I'm thinking oooooOOOooook. I head down the stairs to grab her son who is no small child. He's like 12 or 13 I'd guess and already kind of making his way to the stairs. When I arrive at the bottom she hollers down to me and asks if I can grab their skis. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I'm wondering what's keeping her from doing this herself but, I feel like I need to pay into the good karma bucket seeing as how our $500 GoPro was just returned to us. I grab the skis and head up the stairs. As I'm walking, this older gentleman trips and falls into me. In all the history of sucky days I've never had such a series of sucky things happen in such a sequence. At that point it was laughable.

Scott and I laughed as we headed up the stairs to meet up with Brent, Nacho, and Ceci for lunch. The rest of the day was  perfectly fun.


No comments: