Sunday, June 6, 2010

5/25/10

Have you ever read “The Canterbury Tales”? Well, today I have a tale about not going to Canterbury.  We all set off to meet at the tube station and then walk to where our coach would pick us up.  We walked here, there, and everywhere.  From, I think it was somewhere near Temple station, up to Big Ben, across that bridge, and back down to the London Eye.  Funny thing was, we could have just crossed a different bridge right across the Thames from the eye.  This sort of thing seems to happen regularly.  We pick a less convenient station or we wind up back tracking.  It doesn’t ever really frustrate me... it just makes me laugh.

We all boarded our bus and I was feeling pretty ready to set off on this adventure!  Canterbury is a hot spot for Crusade history which was a very interesting time.  We waited...then waited some more...then finally we realized the coach started smelling like exhaust.  We were told to get off the bus which was fine to me.  We were right in front of the London Eye at this point and there was a grassy field right next to the river that was just calling my name.  We got out and took some pictures.  Scott asked our friend Heidi what she thought of first thing this morning.  She said something like “my breakfast was delicious”.  I said, “I woke up this morning and the first thing I said to myself was ‘I am so glad I’m not wearing a burka’”.  Scott laughed and I felt pretty witty.  It’s true though!  The weather was so lovely that I simply had to do some cartwheels in the grass!  We waited a few minutes while all our supervisors tried to get everything under order.  It was decided that because we couldn’t go see Canterbury, we would just have another free day to play around London. It was also decided that they would give us 40 pounds to go see a show which thrilled me to pieces! I could really get used to this whole not working playing all the time thing...but then I realize that I would soon run out of funds.  Nathan got everyone tickets to ride the Eye which was pretty cool.  Surely not 17 pounds cool but cool nonetheless.  It was mostly just fun to be in the little bubble and watch how everything worked...it’s pretty genius.  We even watched a 4 minute, 4D movie before hand that was so cool we had to see it twice...more bang for our buck that way!!

Our friend Robert Crapo joined us on our adventures today.  As we walked in the direction of the tube station I saw a group of young people packing up some instruments.  I saw what looked like a jazz combo and asked them “are you guys still playing?” They said they were about to take a little break but...they decided to play another song.  The three of us stood there and listened for a few bars and then Scott asked me to dance.  He must have read my mind!  This band was just jammin and I was really feeling the need to dance!  So, we did!  Scott swung me around and we did some cool moves...so cool that we gathered more of a crowd than the actual band.  They kept playing for a while and Robert said that people were stopping and giving the band money.  Even the band members thanked us for dancing haha! I have been wanting to panhandle for two weeks now!  Scott and I could totally just swing dance for money...we just need the right outfits.  I tell you, there was quite a crowd.  Should have gotten pictures of that!

We made our way to Picadilli Circus to find out about some shows.  We walked for about a half an hour to the Royal Theatre (I think that was what it was called...around here everything has something to do with royalty).  We got student seats in about the 10th row center for 25 pounds!!! Fan-jolly-tastic!  Robert, Scott, and I then made our way through Covant Garden which is a deceptive name for this indoor/ outdoor shopping mall.  Thats all it is really...unless I missed something!  ha.  We walked around there and I found this vintage toy shop.  I was hoping to get some miniture doll furniture for the dollhouse that my grandparents made for me.  I’ve been working on that VERY slowly.  I think it will be a lifelong project.  We didn’t buy anything and decided to try out the London Museum.  That was fantastic!  I learned about what it was like to live in London in the thousands of years before Christ.  Can you imagine?  How did these people communicate with each other? What language did they speak?  Luckily we had Robert there who is a linguistics major.  He said that the English language developed around 15,000 years ago!  Shnikies!


No comments: