Sunday, June 6, 2010

5/27/10


I sit here at a train station near Manchester.  My heart has been racing all morning.  Maybe because I’m nervous to be traveling alone and getting lost.  Maybe because I’m nervous I’ll mess up.  I let on to be very confident and independent, which I am, but this is the first long journey I’ve planned out all on my own.  I have orchestrated parts of my travels in the past but this time, it’s all me.  I arrived at the rail station about 15 minutes after my train took off.  A few things held me up in the tube station. There were some delays on the trains, I helped a girl with her suitcase, and I saw a child crying in the corner alone because she didn’t know where her daddy was.  I stopped to comfort her and see if there was anything I could do.  It’s pretty feasible that a parent could loose their child in one of those tube stations that connects to a rail station.  There are so many people commuting and traveling, especially since it’s a bank holiday here in England.  I worried for her and touched her arm asking if she was ok.  She said through her tears something about her daddy.  Only moments later, I heard a voice say “she’s ok” as her father came up with her mother and baby in a stroller.  She was just a little confused.  Poor little thing.  So, I explained my hold ups to the woman at the counter and everything seemed to work out just fine!  I didn’t have to pay any penalty fees or anything.  Blessed day!  I think I’m still just all shook up from the craziness.  It’s comforting to know that I can ask almost any stranger here for directions or help and they are all so kind and willing to explain things.  I have a pretty good sensor for who I can talk to.  Don’t worry mom and dad, I’ve only asked young female strangers for directions and nothing else.  I really feel pretty safe traveling around in England.  People get all worked up about muggings and violence but, I’ve found the English to be quite pleasant.  Perhaps thats because I’ve been spending most of my time in the nice parts of London.  South Ken isn’t exactly the roughest neighborhood.  We have one neighborhood bum.  He sleeps in the same place every night on some cardboard.  I’d like to have a chat with him sometime.  I think he’s got it made.  He has a warm bed every night...at least in the summer months...he doesn’t pay taxes and he always has food to eat, at least from what I’ve seen.  I don’t envy that he doesn’t have running water.  I suppose he could bathe at the lake in Hyde Park.  

I finally arrived at exactly half past 2 as expected.  I hopped off the train a little nervous and not knowing what to expect.  I would be seeing a close friend that I hadn’t contacted in 2 years.  Luke is the first close friend to come home that I’ve been able to see.  I found my way to the train exit and explained why I had the wrong ticket and such.  He let me through the gates no problem.  I look up and there I see Luke!  I felt SO excited! More excited than I was when I landed in England even!  I love the people in my life very much.  I practically skipped/ jumped over to hug him.  I was relieved to see him all smiles.  I know that the first few days home from the mission can be a really depressing time but Luke seemed genuinely excited to have me there.  I gave him a big squeeze which, he confirmed later did make him feel a tad uncomfortable.  I think it’s partially a British thing and partly a RM thing.  Maybe both.  Anyway, it felt great to finally be there.  I must have chatted to him at about a mile a minute telling him about my trip there, my travels in London, things about BYU, and trying to catch him up on our friends and pop culture.  I think the “catching up with pop culture” thing is pretty futile.  I just told him what I found to be the best new movies and songs. Anyway, we walked around Southport.  It felt like we were both visitors.  Luke said to me, “this is such and such street...I think”.  We walked down the promanade and the pier which jutted out into what looked like a sandy version of the salt flats in Utah; sand and puddles of muddy water.  Fun!  Lets go hang out at the beach...I mean...uhhh. 

We made our way back through town and to his home.  It was fun to walk by the bustling down town area.  There was plenty of live music because of this Southport Jazz festival!  FUN!  We made our way back for some dinner and to get settled in for the night.  Mr. and Mrs. Chalmers are just lovely people and so inviting.  We chatted about BYU and our families and our faith and of course we played a round of taboo.  I love that game.


No comments: